Sunday, September 8, 2013

Labor Day Weekend Riding and Scouting My Route

My initial thought for the weekend was to ride part of my route in Western PA so I booked 2 different hotels for Friday and Saturday nights.  I went to Ohiopyle Friday afternoon to check out part of the Allegheny trail I will be on and to check out a new helmet at the Outfitter store.  Love that store!  They gave me the information I needed and I walked to the trail connection so I understood where I will be going.  Grabbed a salad at the local 'Firefly' restaurant and then went to the Lodge at Chalk Hill.  I rested and worked on my route and information I needed to go over.  

Next morning, I started out slow since I didn't have a set schedule.  Checked out and drove to find my route at the end of the Allegheny Trail where it connected with the regular roads.  I started on the west side of Somerset headed towards Breezewood.  Western PA is definitely much hillier than Eastern PA.  As I drove the route, I made notes on the route list I had already printed.  There was one section I did not like so I will be finding an alternate route.  I use MapQuest bike icon which I've found to be helpful.

I made it to Breezewood and checked into the second hotel.  I was going to ride some and it started storming so I decided to find something to eat since I hadn't eaten lunch.  I like to try different restaurants when I go away but I think Breezewood should be labeled the chain restaurant capital of the world.  I found one different truck stop type family restaurant which wasn't what I was looking for but I was just glad for a hot meal.  I went back to the hotel and searched the internet again and watched some tv.

The next morning was beautiful, I grabbed my free breakfast then headed to the "Old Turnpike Trail" located in Breezewood.  It was really cool because I got to ride thru 2 of the old tunnels.  I definitely could have used more light than what I had on my bike.  The  tunnels were very cool, misty, dark and eery.  I posted some pictures below.  That took 2 hours and I met some really nice people who gave me some helpful information.  I got back in the van and started driving the regular route again.  I was very thankful that the "Old Turnpike Trail" was there as an alternate route for that section.  I kept driving the route and making notes the whole way to Lancaster City and it was almost evening on Sunday so I decided to head home.

I was very thankful for having the time to drive part of my route and I felt more confident.  Thank you for following and reading about my journey:)  There's more to come!!!  I can't believe I have less than 4 weeks as of Labor Day Weekend.








No comments:

Post a Comment