Saturday, September 28, 2013

Day 1 of the Big Ride - Sept. 28, 2013

Yesterday (Friday) didn't go as planned since we didn't reach the hotel in Triadelphia, WV until 8 pm and still had to get supper.  So I had some anxiousness for the night and to get started so I didn't sleep very well.  One great thing yesterday is that I was on the FRC radio program and that was fun to do to talk about my ride!

Morning - What a Gorgeous Day to ride so I was very thankful for that!!!!  Little trouble finding the first road at the PA border but got there ok. I wanted to take a picture with the Welcome to PA sign but the route I was on didn't have one so the first picture you see is me starting.  Lots of deer and chipmunks and some other animals along the way.  Western PA certainly has it's hills so the start was a little rough and some other places but the day went well because I tackled 96 MILES and made it to Ohiopyle, Hallelujah!!!!  Unfortunately you can't plan for detours and bridges out so we had to deal with that once and some other unmarked roads.  Two places I will recommend if you're ever in western PA is Mingo Creek State Park and the Allegheny Passage Trail.

I am very grateful to have my Dad with me to help.  He is very encouraging and we have 3 GPS's to work with and of course a paper map.  To go from West Newton to Ohiopyle, I was on the Allegheny Passage Trail and that was awesome.  It's mostly flat and that part was almost 43 miles along the River.  My Dad of course can't drive on the trail so he went ahead to secure a "hotel" and we got blessed. He found a lodge up on the mountain with a hot tub and fireplaces and an incredible view!! Plus they gave us a $40 discount because of my ride!!

I will be on the trail again in the morning for another 30 miles then shortly after I will reach Somerset, PA.  It's going to be tough so I know I will not go as many miles.  Please pray for continued good weather, endurance and my knee.  Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers!!!!
Sorry PICTURES not working will try to post the tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment