Monday, September 2, 2013

65 mile Covered Bridge Ride Sunday, August 18, 2013

After riding 95 miles on Friday, I was feeling good, just a little tired.  Up early and had to start my ride between 7-9 am from the HACC campus so I arrived about 7:20 am. However, I got delayed because I realized that my chain guard was broken which could create a problem while riding so I had to get that taken off. Needless to say, with 2500 riders, there were others with issues and I had to wait my turn. It fortunately wasn't too long and I got started about 8 am. 

There was a chance of isolated thunderstorms all day so I wasn't sure what the day would hold but I was ready. It actually started raining with a steady drizzle right after I started.  I think it was a really good route for the most part and we went through 6 covered bridges in 65 miles. I'm always amazed at how some of the roads connect and how we get back to the HACC campus. 

Lancaster Bicycle Club does a great job of organizing this and we get fed by Subway (subs) and Turkey Hill (drinks and ice cream) plus fruit, peanut butter and cookies.  Just over 1/2 way, we had a stop at a park pavilion for lunch and it was nice to talk some other riders. It rained pretty much the whole time except my 1/2 hour break for lunch.  Great time for it to stop!  I asked the one guy who has to wear regular glasses to invent little "windshield" wipers for rainy days, ha ha!! 

The only thing about organized rides with so many riders is the space on the roads.  We are supposed to be single file as much as possible but everyone rides at different paces and speeds and some ride with groups.  When passing others, it can be a little challenging, especially if we're on a busier traffic road or we get stuck at a traffic light.  One thing I thought was really cool was a family riding together, the Mother and daughter on a double bike and the Dad and son on a double bike. How Awesome!!

Even though I was drenched and dirty when done; I was happy that I completed the ride, felt good and increased my pace.  I couldn't wait to get home to take a warm shower!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment